Friday, May 14, 2010

I would like to know if there is a way to control the power on button on my desktop if my kids hit it by?

accident it switches off the computer on my old pc you had to keep it pressed in for x amount of time for it to switch off if you hit it by mistake it didnt turn off is there any way to do it on my new pcI would like to know if there is a way to control the power on button on my desktop if my kids hit it by?
Even though it's a desktop, you should be able to find ';Power Options'; in Control Panel.





On my computer a dialog box opens. If I click the ';Advanced'; tab, then I see a drop down labeled ';When I press the power button on my computer:'; and you can set that to ';Do Nothing';I would like to know if there is a way to control the power on button on my desktop if my kids hit it by?
control panel----%26gt; power options ----%26gt;power button change from shutdown to do nothing
go to the control pannel


and double click power


options, and it will give


you some options of


what you can do.
without knowing what make/model computer you have it is hard to say but if you call the manufacturers support line i'm sure they would know what to do.
you would need to set your power options in your system bios/settings


http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/pcinfo/har鈥?/a>





press delete when your pc is starting( before windows starts)


and you can change any prestart settings and configure how things work outside normal windows enviroment.





although must advise caution as choosing a wrong setting can cause your pc not to start. if this happens go into bios/settings and select one of the default settings. hope this helps
In Windows power settings you can usually program the power buttons to go into standby when pressed. I would also try to cover the switch with cardboard on a duct tape hinge. I would also ... but then again, you would get arrested for what I was thinking. Just make sure the kids know its not good to press daddy's buttons... ;)
sure...when they turn off the pc they are off it by x amount of time, like time-out. They will stop hitting it and be more careful. You are looking for a technolgy answer to an end user problem. Education is usually the better long term answer. In the meantime just put a book in front of it or tape something over it.
If you go onto yahoo or mozilla search search, you may find a file called ';supplypowerpointstopperv1006'; although I think you can't find it anymore because it is from 2005 and is WAY out of date! It is a torrent. It makes it so you can only use your power button to turn it on, you have to go into menu to turn it off.





ONLY WORKS ON XP AND VISTA


ONLY FINDABLE ON MOZILLA SEARCH AND YAHOO! SEARCH
  • makeup help
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment